Home About Me My Classroom Freebies Products Email Me TeachersPayTeachers Instagram BlogLovin Image Map

Friday, September 5, 2014

Number Bond Robots!

Well, here we are again! I can't believe it's already the weekend! Don't you just love a short week?

I have a confession, I hardly took any pictures of our activities this week! Sad, I know. But, with it being a short week and still teaching beginning of the year routines and procedures...there wasn't much camera action in room 16. 

You're probably asking yourself, well, how much time can possibly be spent on rules and procedures? It's a lot. Trust me. We are still learning to walk over nicely to the carpet, without running across the room, and sliding into the carpet as though we are crossing home plate on a baseball field. We are learning how to line up without knocking everyone over like a row of dominos. We are also learning the more basic tasks like raising a quiet hand, how to properly use a glue stick, and scissor etiquette. Yes, first graders enjoy trimming their hair every now and again. Not in room 16, of course:). 

Last week, I promised I'd share more about our number bond activities this week. 

My firsties definitely needed more practice with making number bonds. I created this simple little number bond book to give them some extra practice. To grab a copy, click here.


Next up...number bond robots! Aren't they awesome?!



Unfortunately, I don't have a template to share with you. I just cut everything out by hand. Well, except the mouths. I let the kiddos do that:). 

I started by giving each student a number (between 5-9). Then, the kids had to figure out two more numbers that would correctly complete their number bond. I had an assortment of pre-cut numbers on the back table for them to choose from. Once they had created the number bond, they each wrote out their number sentences. 

I created the robots with the kids step by step.

One piece at a time.

With very specific instructions.

I highly recommend the step by step process with the kiddos:). 


I also finished up my Fall math pack this week! 30 pages of first grade fun! It has tons of number bond practice and is aligned to first grade Common Core standards.
http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Fall-Math-First-Grade-Print-Go-1430185

 Happy Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment