Home About Me My Classroom Freebies Products Email Me TeachersPayTeachers Instagram BlogLovin Image Map

Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Apples, Apples, and More Apples!

Apples, apples, and more apples! This week has been off to a very sweet start-literally:). In honor of Johnny Appleseed Day, we are spending the week tasting, cooking, reading, and writing about apples. So much fun...fall is definitely my favorite time of year! Since we will be having so much applelicious fun this week I've decided to break this week's post into two parts-I don't want you to have too much apple fun all in one post:).

We started the week with a pretty sweet and sour apple taste test to determine which color apple they (the kids) like best. As part of the new common core first grade standards, first graders now have to write an opinion paper. The kiddos are having their first experience with the writing process this week. They are each writing about which apple tastes the best-in their opinion.

Here's a couple pics of our taste testing. I'm so bummed I didn't capture any of their cute little faces when chomping into the green apples. It was bitter-sweet:).
Apple smiles:)
Each kiddo decided which apple was their favorite and they added their apple to the tree.
Our mini-math lesson using our cute little apple tree.
The kids came up with these descriptive words to help with writing. Mouth-watering is definitely my favorite:).
I gave each student this graphic organizer to put in their writing journal to help them understand the format for writing their opinion paper. We are working on one section a day. That might not sound like a lot...but it is. Trust me:).
This morning I read this super cute story:
Our red house, with no doors, no windows, and a star inside:). 
The kids were in amazement:).
Follow-up activity.
Today's apple treat was dried apples-definitely a new experience for the kids:).
Stay tuned for lots more apple fun this week!

Jamie

No comments:

Post a Comment